World No Tobacco Day 31 May 2014
May 31: Created by the World Health Organisation in 1987, World No Tobacco Day (WNTD) is observed around the world every year on this day and intended to encourage a 24-hour period of abstinence from all forms of tobacco consumption. Around the globe there is a widespread prevalence of tobacco use which currently lead to 5.4 million deaths annually.
- If, like many others, you are choosing to use this day to stop smoking then Donna
- Green and Alison North of the Epsom based cognitive hypnotherapy practice, the
- Odyssey Partnership recommend the following tips:
- Think about your reasons for stopping smoking. The clearer you are about your reasons and the more important these are to you, the more likely you are to succeed.
- Remember that cravings only last about 3 to 5 minutes. They also rapidly decrease in number with time. During a craving, sip a little water, take some deep breaths and if you like, have a sugar-free mint or gum. Remind yourself that the sensations you are experiencing are signs that your body is getting used to living without nicotine or the many others chemicals that cigarettes contain.
- Change your habits, if you usually have a cigarette when:
- your phone rings, change the ringtone
- you have a cup of coffee switch to tea or better still a cold drink
- you’ve had a meal go do something else e.g. have a bath or brush your teeth
- Hold something in the hand that you would normally use to hold your cigarette (a bottle of water or your phone for example).
- Most smokers enter a form of trance when they have a cigarette. Some of the techniques above would get you out of that trance, but for more powerful results, have a session with a hypnotherapist. Hypnotherapy has been found to be a highly effective way to stop smoking.To find out more contact the Odyssey Partnership www.epsomhypnotherapy.co.uk or call 07947 129068